Agreement between You and Instructure
Last Updated Date: March 3rd, 2015
The Services consists of a learning management system that universities, colleges, businesses, and other entities (“Entities”) may subscribe to and provide to their Users. Instructure provides Entities with an administrator account that enables a designated Entity employee (“Administrator”) to manage the Services and manage student (“Student”) and teacher (“Teacher”) access to the Services. “User” means any user of the Service, including Administrators, Students and Teachers of the applicable Entity.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TERMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BY INSTRUCTURE AT ANY TIME PURSUANT TO INSTRUCTURE’S AGREEMENT WITH YOUR ENTITY OR WITH A FACILITATOR THAT IN TURN HAS AN AGREEMENT WITH YOUR ENTITY. When changes are made, Instructure will make a new copy of the Terms available at the Website. We will also update the “Last Updated” date at the top of the Terms. If we make any material changes, and you have registered to use the Services, we will also send an e-mail to you at the last e-mail address you provided to us pursuant to the Terms. Any changes to the Terms will be effective immediately for new Users of the Website or Services and will be effective thirty (30) days after posting of notice of such changes on the Website for existing User. Instructure may require you to provide consent to the updated Terms in a specified manner before further use of the Website or the Services is permitted. If you do not agree to any change(s) after receiving a notice of such change(s), you shall stop using the Website and/or the Services. Otherwise, your continued use of the Website and/or Services constitutes your acceptance of such change(s). PLEASE REGULARLY CHECK THE WEBSITE TO VIEW THE THEN-CURRENT TERMS.
1. Use of Services and Instructure Properties. The Website, the Services, and the information and content (other than Your Content as defined in Section 3.1, as Your Content is not considered part of the Instructure Properties) available on the Website and in the Services (“Content”) (collectively, the “Instructure Properties”) are protected by copyright laws throughout the world. Subject to the Terms, Instructure grants you a limited license to reproduce portions of the Instructure Properties for the sole purpose of using the Services for your personal purposes or, in the event you are a Teacher User or Administrator User, your Entity’s educational purposes.
1.1 Application License. Instructure also provides a mobile application (the “Application”) for use with the Services. Your use of the Application is governed by the End User License Agreement that accompanies the Application in the marketplace where you download it.
1.2 Certain Restrictions. The rights granted to you in the Terms are subject to the following restrictions: (a) you shall not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, reproduce, distribute, host or otherwise commercially exploit the Instructure Properties, (b) you shall not use framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other Instructure Properties; (c) you shall not use any metatags or other “hidden text” using Instructure’s name or trademarks; (d) you shall not modify, translate, adapt, merge, make derivative works of, disassemble, decompile, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of the Instructure Properties except to the extent the foregoing restrictions are expressly prohibited by applicable law; (e) you shall not use any manual or automated software, devices, or other processes (including but not limited to spiders, robots, scrapers, crawlers, avatars, data mining tools, or the like) to “scrape” or download data from any web pages contained in the Website; (f) except as expressly stated herein or as permitted by 17 USC § 107, no part of the Instructure Properties may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means; and (g) you shall not remove or destroy any copyright notices or other proprietary markings contained on or in the Instructure Properties. Any future release, update or other addition to the Instructure Properties shall be subject to the Terms. Any unauthorized use of the Instructure Properties suspends, and in accordance with Section 12.2 may terminate, the licenses granted by Instructure pursuant to the Terms. You agree that as between you and Instructure (and its service providers and suppliers) Instructure (and its service providers and suppliers) reserve all rights to the Instructure Properties not granted in the Terms.
2. Registration. In order to access certain features of the Instructure Properties you must have an account (“Account”). Certain features are only available to Administrator and/or Teacher Accounts.
2.1 Teacher and Student Accounts. This Subsection applies to Teachers and Students. To create an Account, you must (1) be provided with access to an account by an Administrator, (2) provide us with any Registration Data requested in the registration form, and (3) accept the Terms. You are responsible for all of your acts and omissions, and also the acts and omissions of any other person to whom you share your password, that occur under your Account. You may not share your Account or password with anyone, and you agree to notify Instructure immediately of any unauthorized use of your password or any other breach of security. You agree not to access an Account using a false identity or information, or on behalf of someone other than yourself. You agree that you shall not have more than one Account at any given time.
2.2 Necessary Equipment and Software. You must provide all equipment and software necessary to connect to the Instructure Properties, including but not limited to, a device that is suitable to connect with and use the Application. You are solely responsible for any fees, including Internet connection or mobile fees, that you incur when accessing the Instructure Properties.
3. Responsibility for Content.
3.1 Types of Content. You acknowledge that all Content, including the Instructure Properties, is the sole responsibility of the party from whom such Content originated. This means that you, and not Instructure, are entirely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available (“Make Available”) through the Instructure Properties (“Your Content”), and other Users of the Instructure Properties, and not Instructure, are similarly responsible for all Content they Make Available through the Instructure Properties (“User Content”).
3.2 No Obligation to Pre-Screen Content. You acknowledge that Instructure has no obligation to pre-screen Content (including, but not limited to, Your Content and User Content), although Instructure reserves the right in its sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, or remove any Content that (1) violates any law or regulation and/or (2) violates these Terms. By entering into the Terms, you hereby provide your irrevocable consent to such monitoring. You acknowledge and agree that you have no expectation of privacy concerning the transmission of Your Content, including without limitation chat, text, or voice communications.
4.1 Instructure Properties. Except with respect to User Content, you agree that Instructure and its suppliers own all rights, title and interest in the Instructure Properties. Instructure’s name and other related graphics, logos, service marks and trade names used on or in connection with the Instructure Properties are the trademarks of Instructure and may not be used without permission in connection with any third-party products or services. Other trademarks, service marks and trade names that may appear on or in the Instructure Properties are the property of their respective owners.
4.2 Your Content. Except with respect to Your Content and any rights expressly granted to you under the Terms, you agree that you have no right or title in or to any Content that appears on or in the Instructure Properties. Instructure does not claim ownership of Your Content. However, you grant Instructure a fully paid, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable right (including any moral rights) and license to use, license, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform, and publicly display, Your Content (in whole or in part) solely for the purposes of operating and providing the Instructure Properties to you and to your Entity’s other Users. For clarity, Your Content may be used, copied, and modified by Instructure in its general maintenance and diagnostic processes. When you as a User post or publish Your Content on or in the Instructure Properties, you represent that you have the authority to grant the aforementioned license to Instructure. Please remember that other Users may search for, see, use, modify, and reproduce any of Your Content that you submit to any “public” area of the Instructure Properties.
4.3 Your Account. Notwithstanding anything contained herein to the contrary, by submitting Your Content to any forums, comments or any other area on or in the Instructure Properties, you hereby expressly permit Instructure to identify you by your username as the contributor of Your Content in any publication in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed in connection with Your Content.
4.4 User Code of Conduct. As a condition of use, you agree not to use the Instructure Properties for any purpose that is prohibited by the Terms or by applicable law. Do not post, or permit others to post, content on the Instructure Properties or on your profile that (i) encourages illegal activities, is fraudulent, or is unlawful; (ii) defames, harasses, or threatens others; (iii) violates the copyright or intellectual property or privacy rights of others; (iv) contains obscene material (unless such material is made available for educational purposes); (v) impersonates others; (vi) advertises or sells a product or service. Do not attempt or engage in, any potentially harmful acts that are directed against the Instructure Properties, including but not limited to violating or attempting to violate any security features of the Instructure Properties, introducing viruses, worms, or similar harmful code into the Instructure Properties, or unreasonably interfering or attempting to interfere with use of the Instructure Properties by any other user, host or network, including by means of overloading, “flooding,” “spamming,” “mail bombing”, or “crashing” the Instructure Properties.
4.5 Feedback. You agree that submission of any ideas, suggestions, documents, and/or proposals to Instructure through its suggestion, feedback, wiki, forum or similar pages (“Feedback”) is at your own risk and that Instructure has no obligations (including without limitation obligations of confidentiality) with respect to such Feedback. You represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to submit the Feedback. You hereby grant to Instructure a fully paid, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, and fully sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, perform, display, distribute, adapt, modify, re-format, create derivative works of, and otherwise commercially or non-commercially exploit in any manner, any and all Feedback, and to sublicense the foregoing rights, for the purposes of improving, operating, and maintaining the Instructure Properties.
5. Investigations. Instructure may, but is not obligated to, monitor or review the Instructure Properties and Content at any time. Without limiting the foregoing, Instructure shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to remove any of Your Content if such Content violates the Terms or any applicable law. Although Instructure does not generally monitor user activity occurring in connection with the Instructure Properties, if Instructure becomes aware of any possible violations by you of any provision of the Terms, Instructure reserves the right to investigate such violations, and Instructure may, in its reasonable discretion if it reasonably determines such a violation has occurred, immediately suspend, and in accordance with Section 12.2 may terminate, your license to use the Instructure Properties, or change, alter or remove Your Content, in whole or in part, without prior notice to you.
6. Interactions with Other Users.
6.1 User Responsibility. You are solely responsible for your interactions with other Users of the Services and any other parties with whom you interact through the Services; provided, however, that Instructure reserves the right, but has no obligation, to intercede in such disputes. You agree that Instructure will not be responsible for any liabilities incurred as the result of such interaction.
6.2 Content Provided by Other Users. The Instructure Properties may contain User Content provided by other Users. Instructure is not responsible for and does not control User Content. Instructure has no obligation to review or monitor, and does not approve, endorse or make any representations or warranties with respect to User Content. You use all User Content and interact with other Users at your own risk.
7. Third-Party Services.
7.1 Third-Party Websites. The Instructure Properties may contain links to third-party websites (“Third-Party Content”). When you click on a link to a Third-Party Website, we will not warn you that you have left the Instructure Properties and are subject to separate terms and conditions or privacy policies. Such Third-Party Websites are not under the control of Instructure. Instructure is not responsible for any Third-Party Websites and does not review, approve, monitor, endorse, warrant, or make any representations with respect to Third-Party Websites, or their products or services. You use all links in Third-Party Websites at your own risk. You should review applicable terms and policies, including privacy and data gathering practices, of any Third-Party Websites, and should make whatever investigation you feel necessary or appropriate before proceeding with any transaction with any third-party.
7.2 App Stores. You acknowledge and agree that the availability of the Application and the Services is dependent on the third-party from which you received the Application, e.g., the Apple or Android app stores.
8. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold Instructure, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners and licensors (collectively the “Instructure Parties”) harmless from any losses, costs, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) relating to or arising out of your intentional and willful: (a) violation of the Terms; (b) violation of any rights of another party, including any User; or (c) violation of any applicable laws, rules or regulations. You agree that the provisions in this section will survive any termination of your Account, the Terms, or your access to the Instructure Properties.
9. Disclaimer of Warranties. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT AS TO YOU TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOUR USE OF THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK, AND THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITH ALL FAULTS. INSTRUCTURE PARTIES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS, AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND TO YOU, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. INSTRUCTURE PARTIES MAKE NO WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR CONDITION TO YOU THAT: (1) THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (2) YOUR USE OF THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE; (3) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE; OR (4) ANY ERRORS IN THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES WILL BE CORRECTED. ANY CONTENT DOWNLOADED FROM OR OTHERWISE ACCESSED THROUGH THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES IS ACCESSED AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND YOU SHALL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY OR PERSON, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM AND ANY DEVICE YOU USE TO ACCESS THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES, OR ANY OTHER LOSS THAT RESULTS FROM ACCESSING SUCH CONTENT. THE SERVICES MAY BE SUBJECT TO DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND OTHER DISRUPTIONS. INSTRUCTURE MAKES NO WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR CONDITION TO YOU WITH RESPECT TO SERVICES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE QUALITY, INTEGRITY, SECURITY, EFFECTIVENESS, REPUTATION AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS OF SERVICES. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED FROM INSTRUCTURE OR THROUGH THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY MADE HEREIN.
10. Limitation of Liability.
10.1 Disclaimer of Certain Damages. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT IN NO EVENT SHALL INSTRUCTURE PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, SUCH DAMAGES RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS, WHETHER OR NOT INSTRUCTURE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY DAMAGES FOR PERSONAL OR BODILY INJURY OR EMOTIONAL DISTRESS ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE TERMS, OR FROM ANY COMMUNICATIONS, INTERACTIONS OR MEETINGS WITH OTHER USERS OF THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES, ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, RESULTING FROM: (1) THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES; (2) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED OR MESSAGES RECEIVED FOR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES; (3) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; (4) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD-PARTY ON INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES; OR (5) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATED TO THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, COPYRIGHT, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY.
10.2 Cap on Liability. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL INSTRUCTURE PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR MORE THAN FIFTY DOLLARS ($50).
10.3 User Content. INSTRUCTURE PARTIES ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE TIMELINESS, DELETION, MIS-DELIVERY OR FAILURE TO STORE ANY CONTENT (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, YOUR CONTENT AND USER CONTENT), USER COMMUNICATIONS OR PERSONALIZATION SETTINGS.
10.4 No Liability for Conduct of Third Parties or Other Users. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT INSTRUCTURE PARTIES ARE NOT LIABLE TO YOU, AND YOU AGREE NOT TO SEEK TO HOLD INSTRUCTURE PARTIES LIABLE, FOR THE CONDUCT OF THIRD PARTIES, INCLUDING OPERATORS OF EXTERNAL SITES, AND THAT THE RISK OF INJURY FROM SUCH THIRD PARTIES RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF YOUR COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER USERS OF THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT INSTRUCTURE DOES NOT MAKE ANY ATTEMPT TO VERIFY THE STATEMENTS OF USERS OF THE INSTRUCTURE PROPERTIES.
10.5 Basis of the Bargain. THE LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN INSTRUCTURE AND YOU.
11. Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement. It is Instructure’s policy to terminate membership privileges of any User who repeatedly infringes copyright upon prompt notification to Instructure by the copyright owner or the copyright owner’s legal agent. Without limiting the foregoing, if you believe that your work has been copied and posted on the Instructure Properties in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide our Copyright Agent with the following information: (1) an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest; (2) a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed; (3) a description of the location on the Instructure Properties of the material that you claim is infringing; (4) your address, telephone number and e-mail address; (5) a written statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law; (6) a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf. Contact information for Instructure’s Copyright Agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement is as follows: Howard Baik; firstname.lastname@example.org; 6330 S. 3000 E., Suite 700, Salt Lake City, UT 84121.
12. Term and Termination.
12.1 Term. The Terms commence on the date when you accept them (as described in the preamble above) and remain in full force and effect while you use the Instructure Properties, unless terminated earlier in accordance with the Terms.
12.2 Termination or Suspension of Services by Instructure. If you have materially breached any provision of the Terms, or if Instructure is required to do so by law (e.g., where the provision of the Website, the Application, or the Services is, or becomes, unlawful), Instructure has the right to immediately suspend any Services and licenses provided to you under this Agreement (“Suspension”). Following Suspension, Instructure and your applicable Entity will work in good faith to determine whether to reinstate your access to (and any associated licenses to) the Services or permanently terminate your Services, such determination to be made by your Entity. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Instructure may terminate your account in its sole discretion in the event that (a) you are a repeat infringer for purposes of Instructure’s copyright infringement policy as described in Section 11 or (b) you violate a restriction in Section 1.2 and, after Instructure makes reasonable efforts to provide you with notice of such violation, you violate Section 1.2 a subsequent time. You agree that Instructure shall not be liable to you for any Suspensions or terminations made in accordance with the Terms. Termination or Suspension of any Service may include removal of access to such Service and barring of further use of the Service. Termination (but not Suspension) of all Services also may include deletion of your password and all related information, files and Content associated with or inside your Account (or any part thereof), including Your Content. Upon termination of any Service for all customers, or in the event that Instructure’s agreement with your Entity or with a facilitator that has an agreement with Instructure and with your Entity, terminates (unless Instructure at approximately the same time enters into a new agreement with your Entity), your right to use such Service will automatically terminate immediately. Instructure will not have any liability whatsoever to you for any Suspension or termination, including for deletion of Your Content. All provisions of the Terms which by their nature should survive, shall survive termination of Services, including without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, and limitation of liability.
13. General Provisions.
13.1 Electronic Communications. The communications between you and Instructure use electronic means, whether you visit the Instructure Properties or send Instructure e-mails, or whether Instructure posts notices on the Instructure Properties or communicates with you via e-mail. For contractual purposes, you (1) consent to receive communications from Instructure in an electronic form; and (2) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that Instructure provides to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications would satisfy if it were to be in writing. The foregoing does not affect your statutory rights.
13.2 Release. You hereby release Instructure Parties and their successors from claims, demands, any and all losses, damages, rights, and actions of any kind, including personal injuries, death, and property damage, that is either directly or indirectly related to or arises from any interactions with or conduct of other Website Users or third-party websites of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of the Terms or your use of the Instructure Properties. If you are a California resident, you hereby waive California Civil Code Section 1542, which states, “A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which, if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.
13.3 Assignment. The Terms, and your rights and obligations hereunder, may not be assigned, subcontracted, delegated, or otherwise transferred by you without Instructure’s prior written consent, and any attempted assignment, subcontract, delegation, or transfer in violation of the foregoing will be null and void. Instructure may assign this Agreement without your consent.
13.4 Force Majeure. Instructure shall not be liable for any delay or failure to perform resulting from causes outside its reasonable control, including, but not limited to, acts of God, war, terrorism, riots, embargos, acts of civil or military authorities, fire, floods, accidents, strikes or shortages of transportation facilities, fuel, energy, labor or materials.
13.5 Compliance. If you believe that Instructure has not adhered to the Terms, please contact Instructure by emailing us at email@example.com. We will do our best to address your concerns. If you feel that your complaint has been addressed incompletely, we invite you to let us know for further investigation.
13.6 Notice. Where Instructure requires that you provide an e-mail address, you are responsible for providing Instructure with your most current e-mail address. In the event that the last e-mail address you provided to Instructure is not valid, or for any reason is not capable of delivering to you any notices required/ permitted by the Terms, Instructure’s dispatch of the e-mail containing such notice will nonetheless constitute effective notice. You may give notice to Instructure at the following address: 6330 South 3000 East, Suite 700, Salt Lake City, UT 84121. Such notice shall be deemed given when received by Instructure by letter delivered by nationally recognized overnight delivery service or first class postage prepaid mail at the above address.
13.7 Waiver. Any waiver or failure to enforce any provision of the Terms on one occasion will not be deemed a waiver of any other provision or of such provision on any other occasion.
13.8 Severability. If any provision of the Terms is, for any reason, held to be invalid or unenforceable, the other provisions of the Terms will remain enforceable, and the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid and enforceable to the maximum extent permitted by law.
13.9 Entire Agreement. The Terms are the final, complete and exclusive agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes and merges all prior discussions between the parties with respect to such subject matter.